Featured Post

Tentang Pelayanan: Tak Cukup Menjadi Marta, Jadilah Maria di Dekat Kaki Tuhan

Maria telah memilih bagian yang terbaik, yang tidak akan diambil dari padanya.   (Lukas 10:42) Menjadi Pelayan di Usia Muda Saya di...

2.11.2013

Journey to the North

I finally have the chance to go to Taipei, after almost 4 years I spent living in Taiwan! I have planned everything, and save my money long before the winter vacation. The plan was almost being cancelled, but when I got into the bus that takes me there, I know that Taipei will be finally at my embrace.
We spent 2 days and a night in Taipei, then we went to Taichung, and spent 2 days 2 nights there.

Last week, at Thursday, my friend and I took the midnight bus at 1 a.m. Because the dormitory was closed at 10.30 pm, we had to leave at 10. I could assure you, that my friend, who is also a female, took a risk to go the train station alone. We're scared, of course, but we decided to wait at the bus terminal until the bus came. So the bus came at 12.58 am. And soon we depart from Kaohsiung.

The city I lived in, also the second biggest city in Taiwan, called Kaohsiung. It's located in southern Taiwan, and Taipei is in the north. The estimated time from Kaohsiung to Taipei was 5 to 6 hours by bus. The prices were varied, and it won't be the same from time to time. The original price was 480 NT (about $16). But thanks God, we only paid 399 NT. We took Ubus, one of the bus that go to Taipei. There's so many choices of the public transportation, if you want to go from cities to cities in Taiwan.


We arrived Taipei at 5.30 am. It was still dark outside. The bus arrived at the terminal and we went right to the MRT station, but remember the MRT station started to operate at 6 am. Because the bus terminal, train station, and MRT station, are all located in the underground, first we have to find the exit door. After we found the nearest exit door, we try to find nearby McD. And I could assure you, that at that time, the two of us were lost. We never been to Taipei before, and have no idea which is where or where to go. 

So we went around the train station, carried my big backpack, looking for McD. Soon as I saw the big M, we went there, and find that it was only a drive through store, and it wasnt open. Oh God, I almost cried, knowing that we're lost, and because it was still early, not many stores were open, and we really have no idea where to go. But my friend finally saw another big M. We decided to go there. And Voila!

We have early breakfast there, and took a rest for a while, because we still have an itinerary that needs to be fulfilled. 

My backpack, my bag, and my camera. (in McD)

At 8 am we started our plan, but before it, we have to find a way to not carry around our heavy backpack, so we look for a safe-locker. And you'll find it anywhere in train station at B1. The cost depends on how big the locker is; from 30 NT per 3 hours, 50 NT per 3 hours, to 70 NT per 30 hours.
I feel kinda amazed when I know this facility, and finally I could put my heavy backpack there!!

Read the instruction on how to save and take your things away. The instruction is in english and chinese ^^

So I'll tell you, which places we visited. :)

1. YeLiu National Geopark. (野柳地質公園)
It was the famous for the natural stone that shaped like the head of queen because of the erosion. It located not in Tapei City, so you need to get there by bus. 

-From Tamsui to Yeliu
To get to Tamsui, you need to take MRT that went through the Tamsui Line (Red Line). After that, took the Bus 826. It cost about 85 NT if you use the travel card. The journey takes 1 and half hour. Soon as you get down from bus, you just walk through the way, and through the fisherman wharf. 

-From Taipei train station to Yeliu
Took the bus named Guo Guang (1815) from west bus station (Jinqing-Taipei). It cost the same (85 NT) and the journey takes 1-2 hours.

Again, after we get down from the bus, we're lost, and it was raining that day. But finally we manage to get there. It took about 10 minutes from the bus terminal to the place.
This is how the place looks like. It's definitely a must-go, when you visit Taipei. I heard the the stone is almost broken, so before it broke to pieces, you need to get there!

The Queen's head

Another nature stones

Don't blame me, that I love waves so much. that if I could, I would marry the ocean current and go on journey with them!

It took the most of our time to have the journey from Taipei City to Yeliu. So as soon as we arrived at Taipei train station, it was already 3 pm.

2. Lin Family Mansion and Garden (林家花園)
So it basically many old houses that belongs to Lin family, who came long ago to Taipei. And how to get there, it was easy! :D

-From Taipei train station- Linjia
Took the MRT that went to Fuzhong 府中, took the blue line (Nangang-Yongning). At the MRT station, there's so many pamphlets, you'd better take one that showed the MRT route map.
After you arrived at the mrt station, you take the exit 3. And you walk about 690 meter to LinJia. There would be a signpost to Linjia, so you just follow the signpost.

and this is how Linjia looks like. I was so happy that finally I could get there. It was really beautiful. The houses were really old, you could somehow feel the past just by standing there. Oh, and just for your information, Lin Family came from China, Fujian Province. Many of Fujian and Hakka people came from China to Taiwan in 17th century. 



What I love the most about this place that it reminded me of the palace in the setting of the film of the Princess Huan Zhu. :D

3. Shilin Nightmarket (士林夜市)
Since I've arrived in Taiwan, I have heard one of the most famous nightmarket called Shilin, and since I was in Taipei, I decided to visit it. And there, we met our roommates, in whose house we're going to spend a night. 

-Taipei train station-Shilin nightmarket.
Took the Red Line to Tamsui or Beitou, and get down at Jiantan station. Follow the signpost, and you will find the nightmarket outside the MRT station. 

We ate steak for dinner :) She's our beautiful Lily (blonde hair).

So after that, because we're already tired, as soon as we get to Lily's house, we slept like a baby.
And the next day, we depart from her house at 9 am, ate our breakfast together, and we continue our journey.

4. Chiang Kai Sek Memorial Hall (中正紀念當)
Thanks God, before I get here, I have read the history of Taiwan. Chiang Kai Sek is the first president of Taiwan. Chiang Kai Sek was once the government in China. But after he loses the civil war, he and guomindang government fled to Taiwan. Also after the civil war, many of mainlanders came to Taiwan. 

-Taipei train station-Chiang Kai Sek
Took the MRT blue line (Tamsui Line) but took the train that go to Xindian. And Chiang Kai Sek is only 2 stations away from train station. Follow the signpost that leads to Chiang Kai Sek, and the exit door is already inside the Chiang Kai Sek.


There's also Concert Hall and National Theater inside the hall.

It was a really nice place, the building was really huge, and the scene was so great! When we get there, there's a test for art students that took place in Concert hall and national theater. So we found many students dancing and acting there! :)

5. Taipei 101
One of the place that you should go is Taipei 101. It was like a mascot for Taiwan. The building was one of the tallest building in the world. If you want to go to 101st floor, you have to pay for 307 NT. But at that time, we only went there and took a picture.

-Taipei Train Station-Taipei 101
Use the blue line (MRT) and get down at Taipei City Hall Station. There's a mall, called Shinyi, if im not mistaken, outside the mrt station (but still underground). 

I cant help putting my own photo :p

6. Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall (國父紀念當)
He's the founding father of Republic of China. I remember watching and reading the story about Sun Yat Sen, whose idea become the most favorable in Taiwan. He's a revolutionary. When Chiang Kai Sek is the government of Kuomintang, Sun Yat Sen was co-founded it. 

Sun Yat Sen memorial Hall is only one station before Taipei 101 from Taipei Train Station.

孫中山 statue

three principle of the people and national development

This guy has to stand still for 1 hour. He's the guard of the big statue :D


Again for me, visiting a place is to know the history of it, then you're not only see the visual part of it, but understand about the how and why. People say, travel since you're still young! Many people travel, not only to see the place, that they could only see in the internet, but people travel to meet other people from different places, seeing from different point of view, and understanding the history of the people.
That is why, I love to go places and write about it.

Me, writing in front of Sun Yat Sen memorial hall with the view of Taipei 101. Isn't that beautiful?

At the evening, we rush to Taipei Train Station, to go to Taichung and continue our journey :)


Farewell, Taipei, I really have no idea, when will I go back to this crowded but friendly place again. ;)

No comments:

Search