Featured Post

Tentang Pelayanan: Tak Cukup Menjadi Marta, Jadilah Maria di Dekat Kaki Tuhan

Maria telah memilih bagian yang terbaik, yang tidak akan diambil dari padanya.   (Lukas 10:42) Menjadi Pelayan di Usia Muda Saya di...

2.27.2013

Review: Les Misérables!

Who haven't seen this film? I've waited patiently when the trailer for the film came out. They say it will be on screen on December. But it's a pity, it came so late to Taiwan. I've just watched this film 2 days before Valentine. And 10 days after, I still obsess with the every single songs, and I tried so hard to sing every part.

I heard the play Les Miserables first time when I was on the second year of my college. That time, I have a course about musical play, and my teacher introduced many musical play. And I fell in love with the two of it, Les Miserables and Notre Dame de Paris. Noticed that the course taught in Chinese, I didn't fully understood the story my teacher told back then. So I spent days later to find everything about Les Miserables and Notre Dame de Paris. 

And today after I became really obsessed with the storyline and the songs, I couldn't help to write something about it. Here, I'm not trying to make a comparison between the film and the play or the concert, and neither I will make any comparison between the cast, for all the casts were so great. But I will tell you who were my favorite!

Eponine Thernadier

I remember listened the songs for the first time, it was from the 10th anniversary of Les Miserables. And as soon as I paid attention to the lyric, I know that I fell for Eponine. Her character is like a reality to all the girls out there who think that the guy they like wouldn't like them back. All the girls would just pity her especially in the song 'On My Own'.

As a girl who think herself as Eponine, I feel that Eponine was telling the truth! I fell for her because she really loves Marius, and she's likely to do everything she could to help Marius. Even at the end, she's willing to die. And I feel satisfied by the ending of her, that she died in Marius's embrace, although she was closer to death, she could finally rest, one breath away from Marius.

I never read the book (by Victor Hugo) before, so I could not justify whether the film or the play have rightly depicted Eponine. But searching through many comments on youtube, some people said that Eponine, in Hugo's book, doesn't seem so divine and angelic. For example in one part, she wants Marius to die with her. 

Well, as I already know now, I dont want to change my opinion toward Eponine. I could understand how Eponine fell in love with Marius, and it must be true that everything she done was because of her feeling. How could someone still become an angel when she felt despair.



Javert (compare to Jean Valjean)

Javert is an interesting character. The first time I ever see this character, he's just an ordinary police who became an antagonist in this story. But I think it's funny how he spent his life chasing Jean Valjean, because he wants to show the world that the law, which is himself, should not be mocked!

Javert live in his own 'black and white' world, that when something is not white, it must be black. So when Valjen only steal a bread, in Javert's eyes, he's always be a thief, and thief should not be free. Although, we know and Javert know, how Valjean spent his life protecting an innocent child, Cosette, and kept his promise to Fantine.

What's interesting here is that Javert and Valjean are both religious, (well I haven't read the book, I saw this from the musical) Both of them pray to God, asking God to help them, but both of them did the different things. Valjean, after receiving forgiveness from the bishop, realize that he must do something good in his life. But Javert, who was born in the jail, learn that if you break the law, you could not be free, and therefore you're not in God's way. They live in their own perspective about the same God. But their perspectives are not the same.

In real world, we could always find Javert everywhere. It's not because they were born evil. That's why we have open our eyes, and don't let it be deceived with our own beliefs. I mean, it's okay to believe in something, but remember that in this world, when everything could happen, life is not all about good and bad, black and white.

Javert, until the end of his life, kept his belief. He'd rather kill himself than to see that he has been mocked by Valjean. He find the situation very confusing, that Valjean spare his life when Valjean could just shoot him right away. He begins to doubt his belief in the very last second of his life. He might have learned about forgiveness, but he choose to die, he couldnt stand that the law is mocked.

Javert is really unique, but in fact, we could always find him everywhere.
You could find the difference between these two men in their soliloquy.



Gavroche and Enjolras

These two characters recently became my favorite characters. First, I really love Gavroche for his sexy accent! :D

But seriously, Gavroche was only a kid, but he is a really brave and could bring happiness. I don't know whether I like him because he's brave, or because I find myself not brave enough, and I really want to be like Gavroche.

And Enjolras, he believe in revolution. He fight for his right, and I just love people, who when he finds something not right in the society is willing to take action and he didnt fear death, and he fight until the end. Enjolras (from what ive seen) is this kind of person.

But I reconsider my opinion as soon as I heard the songs 'empty chairs and empty tables' and 'turning.' In these two songs, there's story of people who died in their fight to revolution. Despite their sacrifice, the situation can't be changed.

Here they talked of revolution.
Here it was they lit the flame.
Here they sang about `tomorrow'
And tomorrow never came.

Sometimes when you decide to do something to make a difference, you have to understand that you could sacrifice your life, and you could be winning and failing.


Enjolras

And these are my favorite songs in this musical.

I dreamed a dream- Fantine

This was just like a trademark of this musical for me, this song was really famous. I love the music, and also when you hear the lyric, you know how miserable her life is. She got fired from the factory, and she has to support her child, who live in the inn, by selling herself and become prostitute. Thanks god at the end of her life, she found a good man like Valjean who promise to protect her child.

From the movie.



Masters of the House- Thernadier

This was a very fun song, when I watch the film, I wait patiently for the rendition of the song. This is how bad things portrayed in a fun way. But this song couldnt be more honest.



One more Day- all casts

I love this song, first because all casts sing together, telling their own story, but in the end, they are all waiting for tomorrow, waiting for what could happen. They sing in a very good harmony. It is also the end of the first act.

"Tomorrow we'll discover what our God in heaven has in store."


On My Own- Eponine

This might be the theme song for all girls (maybe boys) who has been friendzoned by their beloved. But seriously, when I heard this song for the first time, I listen to the lyrics, and I feel so touched, how could a fictional character describe what I did almost every night.

When I watch the film, I remember listening to 'In My Life and Heart full of Love', my heart feel the pai of Eponine who saw Marius and Cosette meeting each other and show off their love.

This was the version from the 10th anniversary and also my favorite version of on my own.


Stars- Javert

I didnt know what this song about before, but when I listen to this song more carefully after understanding the story, I fell in love with this song. This showed us how Javert wants so badly to capture Valjean, and he promise to never rest until he could find Valjean. 

At the beginning of the song he said, 'there, out in the darkness, a fugitive running, falling from God, falling from grace.' He believed that Valjean was wrong and therefore he wasn't what God wanted his people to be, and it is his task to capture a guy like this. This is very interesting, seriously! 

This is from the 25th anniversary by Norm Lewis.



Valjean's death- Valjean, Cosette, Marius, Fantine.

This song is very heartbreaking, and also the conclusion of the film, they're all dead but Marius and Cosette married! But seriously, there's a line from this song that I really like.

"And remember the truth that once was spoken, to love another person is to see the face of God"

Despite all the bad things in this world, love for me is divine. That is why, we could always see God in the person we love. Well, we could define God by saying good things left in this world, by this I didn't mean any religions.

This is the version from the film, Oh my God, when Hugh Jackman start singing, and Fantine appear by his side, I couldn't hold any more tears. Fantine take Valjean finally to heaven, and she said that he could finally rest. This was also the part when everything was known to both Marius and Cosette what Valjean has done as a fugitive but he also has saved Marius and Cosette's life, and fulfill the promise to Fantine. 


To be honest, I've never watched all the version of the musical and play. But I have watched the full version of the film (2012), the concert in 10th anniversary(1995) and 25th anniversary(2010), and some of the song from the original London cast. 

The first version I heard was the 10th anniversary, so I would likely compare another version to this unconsciously, but what I want to say here is that all the version were good, including the movie. I mean, I believe that they have already auditioned the best casts to play the character. Nonetheless, I'd like to tell you who's my favorite cast to play which character.

The casts who played in the film were really good in showing their expression, and they have to sing live, is not easy at all! So I really recommend this film!

Jean Valjean- Colm Wilkinson

He was the original London cast and played once again as Valjean in 10th anniversary. He also played as bishop in the film. He's really good! Colm ever played as Phantom before. I mean, no doubt that his voice was amazing. And for me, when I judge from the voice, I would choose Colm as Valjean.

Those little voice at the end is really something! :D It's just why I really love him as Valjean. Although, I'd prefer him played as bishop, he really looks like bishop to me. And Jackman is what I imagined to be Valjean!



Fantine- Ruthie Henshall

When Anne win the Oscar as best supporting actress, I could say that she really deserves it! Her emotional win everything, that's how I imagined how Fantine would feel. But my favorite Fantine was Ruthie Henshall from 10th anniversary. I always imagined Fantine as a mother who really love her daughter, Cosette, and I thought Ruthie really looked like a mother.

And her voice is amazing, in the song, "come to me and fantine's death" you could here her diminuendo at the end of the song, that soft voice at the end before it ends. And I thought it was beyond amazing when someone could sing that way. 



In the 25th anniversary, Lea Salonga played as Fantine. Lea's voice was also amazing, but I really like Ruthie's gentle and soft voice, I think it suit her best when she played as the mother, Fantine.

Javert - Phillip Quast

Again I have to choose the cast from the 10th anniversary concert. Listen to his voice, and you could know why I love Phillip Quast. Don't get me wrong, Norm Lewis was also good, and also Russel Crowe was also amazing. But the voice of Quast, just melts me away.

Many people talk a lot about Crowe played as Javert, how his voice was too soft for Javert, bla bla bla. Well, I somewhat agree and not agree of this opinion. But Crowe did a good job to my opinion. When I saw the comment from youtube, I heard that Crowe did a research about how Javert should be in the novel, and Javert was portrayed rightly by Crowe. I cannot judge since ive never read the novel, but I think when somebody has searched through the novel, he must be an expert.

But for me, Quast's voice fits the personality of Javert the best. :D


Eponine- Francess Rufelle

Oh, you thought it would be Lea Salonga? Of course I love Lea Salonga, she's the best. Samantha Barks was also good. Their voices were great, moreover, Lea's voice could win.
But according to one comment I read in youtube, Hugo didn't write about Eponine as a good girl, beautiful, and magnificent voice. (I didnt say that Francess's voice is not good) But Francess has the closest image of Eponine, to my opinion, of course. Francess played Eponine in the original London cast.
You could hear her voice here. :)


Cosette- Amanda Seyfried. Marius- Eddie Redmayne

I always imagined Cosette and Marius as young lovers just like Seyfried and Redmayne. But if you searched through the other concert. Another casts were just good, for example Michael Ball and Judy Kuhn had amazing voice.

Thernadier and Madame Thernadier- Sacha Baron Cohen and Jenny Galloway

Sacha Baron Cohen was the cast from the film (2012).  I really like his voice and how he portrayed Thernadier. But as madame Thernadier, I didn't say that Helena Bonham Carter wasn't good. She's a good actress, and she played really well, but I prefer Jenny Galloway.


Enjolras and Gavroche- Ramin Karimloo and Robert Madge

My two favorite boys in this musical! Ramin Karimloo has that great voice, and that's how Enjolras should be. Ramin played as Enjolras in 25th anniversary. If i'm not mistaken, he ever played the role Valjean too, but sure is, he was also the Phantom from the Phantom of the Opera. His voice kills, he's just great. You could check his video too when he played as Phantom


Robert Madge is my favorite Gavroche. He played Gavroche in 25th anniversary. You could guess what I love him after watching the video. That little blink and smile at the end of the songs, melts me as a girl 5 years older than him. His accent was also good and his voice is amazing. I just love Gavroche so much haha.



I love almost all the scene and I love all the songs, if you were here, you could find me singing and mumbling the songs all the time. My friends tired of hearing me singing all the parts by myself, but I really couldn't help it :D

Anyway, if i get the chance, I would really like to read the book. I think Les Miserables is really interesting. Every character and the story were just really good. Thumbs up for Victor Hugo


To all the people who havent watched the film, I think you have to watch it, read the novel, and to you who love musical, you should check their concert. It was really worth it :)

I leave you with this ubertalented guy who sing all the part in the les miserables songs!
check this guy out!


No comments:

Search