Featured Post

Tentang Pelayanan: Tak Cukup Menjadi Marta, Jadilah Maria di Dekat Kaki Tuhan

Maria telah memilih bagian yang terbaik, yang tidak akan diambil dari padanya.   (Lukas 10:42) Menjadi Pelayan di Usia Muda Saya di...

12.18.2012

Movie Review: The Hobbit

(Before I started to make this review, I want to announce that I have finally done my thesis on Elves in European mythology and Folklore! Yay!)

The Hobbit is the type of the film that could make you proud only to be the small part of the film, or maybe the fan of Tolkien. It is for me the great film ever after The Lord of the Rings- The Return of The King. The cinematography, the acting skill, and the music, was just too awesome to describe. The film last to almost 3 hours, but it makes you want to sit there and ignore the urge to pee. *cuz I did that day.

The Hobbit is the first book of Tolkien's great story of middle earth before The Lord of the Rings. It was meant to be a children's book. It is the story of the journey of Bilbo, who later found Sauron's ring, that was owned by the gollum, the ugly creature in the cave.

(The book I have, it is already translated to Indonesian language)

The film was divided into 3 sequel; An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug, and There and Back Again. Although the book was thinner than The Lord of The Rings. As the reader of the hobbit, I don't know what would Peter Jackson do in the last 2 films, because I think that the first film already covered almost 2/3 part of the book (am i right?) well tho' I believe Peter Jackson will eventually make the great film out of the great book.

The film started almost the same as the beginning of the lord of the rings-the fellowship of the ring. The intention of using this scene is, I know, that it would take us back to the old friend and the memory of the hobbiton and the story of Bilbo and Frodo. Then the soundtrack of the shire is played; I almost cried when I heard this, knowing that I would witness the great journey started from the lively and peaceful place in middle earth, The Shire.

(The scene from the lord of the rings- the fellowship of the rings)

Bilbo then told the story of the great kingdom of the dwarves, Erebor, that once was a wealthy land but taken by the dragon, that makes all the dwarves of Erebor forced to leave their own home. But the dwarf prince, Thorin, wants to take revenge and reclaim his home.

Then they take you back to 60 years ago, when Bilbo was younger man, who were unexpectedly visited by Gandalf. This is the first time when they meet each other, (before, Gandalf was only known to him as wizard who make fireworks.) Then Gandalf leave mark where all the 13 dwarves should came. Then they told Bilbo to sign the contract, to be the thief, and also the 14th companion of the journey. Bilbo, who are half Baggins and half Took, chose to sign the contract and join the journey. During the journey, they faced many problems that almost took their life.

Well, I'm not going to tell the full-story of it, you should watch it, and enjoy world's greatest mythology written by man come into movie.

What impressed me the most is:

1. The song of Misty Mountains Cold.
The song sung by Thorin followed later by all 13 dwarves. (although I thought they would sang it in Quenya or Sindarin- then later I realizes, dwarves didn't speak Quenya) But the song really match the personality of dwarves and symbolize the life the dwarves had. It was simply beautiful and very magical at the same time dark and mysterious.



2. The rendition of the Troll.
The 3 Trolls who wants to eat and burn the dwarves alive. Peter Jackson did the perfect job to describe the troll. *I watch the making of the Hobbit, and I feel impressed how Jackson direct the three actors of the trolls how they should move like the real troll.
Not to mention, the troll figures were just awesome, and it is how someone should imagine how trolls look like.

3. The acting skill of Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis
I could not stop saying how Andy Serkis did once again a very nice job to be Gollum. I mean, Serkis was born to play it, I don't think there are other people who could do the rendition of the gollum, the voice and the movement was just too perfect. And also in the hobbit, where the gollum only shown in his own cave. It showed how funny and innocent gollum is in the scary way. If I were Bilbo, I don't think I could answer the riddle and at the same time ask the riddle! it was just too scary when Gollum eat the Goblin.



Before the hobbit start, I want to know who will play Bilbo, and the name 'Martin Freeman' come out. I'm not movie freak, so I don't have an idea, who he is. But after watching his acting, he will forever become one of my favorite actor. He played well as Bilbo, he showed the adventurous, courageous, and funny personality that Bilbo had. After watching this, I realize how brave Bagginses are! and it is seems like both Frodo and Bilbo are chosen by Illuvatar (the god of middle earth) to be the small creature who played big role in middle earth. And it also shows how wise Illuvatar is.
What's cooler is, for me, Bilbo is braver and more adventurous than Frodo, who can't make it without Sam by his side!

(the most handsome Hobbit, I've ever seen :D)


4. The attack of Wargs and Orcs and the fighting scene in the goblin's cave.
This is what I wait in every movie about middle earth. It could make your mouth and eyes wide open in awe. It's awesome, and again the figures of Wargs, Orcs, Goblin, and also the appearance of the eagles who save the 13 dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf.

5. My heart stopped when seeing the scene of Rivendell.
The home of elves owned by Lord Elrond. It was just so beautiful, no one could resist to live there, even Bilbo who loves adventure, spending his time to write book in Rivendell. As an Elves-lover, I hope that I would spend my days before I die in Rivendell. It was just so beautiful!



I suggest you to read the book first before watching the hobbit. You should at least know what are these figures are, and how they behave. As Tolkien fans, I would give my 10 out of 10 points to this film. :D
I expect the great fight with Smaug in next films, cos I also love dragons.

(Smaug- the character from the Hobbit. and wish I could have this, tattoed on my back, please!)


If you haven't watched the Hobbit. Watch it, man! it is one of the greatest movie i've seen- especially when you love Fantasy and Mythology! :)

(My Favorite Dwarf, after Gimli and Thorin!! Bombur, why you have to be this cute! :D)


Here's the trailer


No comments:

Search