Featured Post

Tentang Pelayanan: Tak Cukup Menjadi Marta, Jadilah Maria di Dekat Kaki Tuhan

Maria telah memilih bagian yang terbaik, yang tidak akan diambil dari padanya.   (Lukas 10:42) Menjadi Pelayan di Usia Muda Saya di...

6.07.2013

If People were Deaf, the Sound didn't exist

Have you ever hear how sound and light work, and maybe another mechanical wave in the nature that we can not touch but we can feel its presence?

Yesterday was a tough day for such a weak and coward kid like me. I never like debate, arguing over something, whatsoever. My heart beats fast like it's gonna burst in another seconds. I don't really know whether this kind of experience has something to do with the debate happen from the past.

We argue about the meaning of the poem by Chairil Anwar-Doa. Long story short, I said my argument, and one of my friends told me that my argument is not right, and she looked at me. And although I know that my argument is right, but I just can't find the right way to justify it. So I sat back without answering her question, and I wasn't brave enough to stare back at her.

Ever since, I never like the idea of someone or I unconsciously putting my own self on any kind of debate that only focused themselves on, 'how I should use their arguments to prove they're wrong.' naja, maybe this is not what a debate should be, but this is what it seems to me...

I love discussion. I love hearing people's dream and ideology of how they perceive the world. I love asking them questions and hear what their answer. I usually keep their answers to myself without saying they're wrong or right, and sometime, I go back to them and give them my argument, without asking them to agree or not to agree with it. I just love the idea of sharing argument and opinion without having to prove the other's argument are wrong.

I just love it that way, that we could talk all day and night while drinking coffee, tea, smoking whatever, but we enjoy every seconds and opinions.

Instead of a debate that makes it difficult to enjoy. Damn! I was shaking while typing yesterday, dude! well, forget yesterday...


Well, go back to the question I have when I was on 2nd grade in my Uni. The professor, who came to the class always with a cup of coffee on their hand, ask us to write down whatever we think and what we believe as an answer to the question...

"If the tree falls in the wood, but there's no one to hear it, did the sound happen?"

I write down my answer, 'the sound still happen, because the sound happen when two things bumped to each other and it's causing vibration.' But my answer were proven wrong.

My teacher argue, that the sound didn't happen. Because the definition of the sound is, something that can be heard. No matter where you find the definition, you would find out that the sound happen only when the sound wave come to the organs of hearing, which is your ears. And your ears will translate it. Though the sound wave and vibration might happen, but if the mechanical wave failed to reach your ear, the sound still didn't happen.

and some people said, that this also applies to the light.

This is science. The only problem I think here is, maybe, I was failed at understanding that there's a different between sound and sound wave. I take for granted that every part of the sound still count as sound.

But something tickles my mind a little bit when I woke up half-awake of course for sleeping late last night. If this is what science said about this question, now let's see from the sentence itself. 'if the tree falls, but no one's there to hear it, did the sound happen?'

The simple answer is, especially when all of us focusing ourselves on the evidence, actually there's no sound at all. IF there's no one to hear it, then there's no evidence and proof that the sound happen. Maybe you could later found out the evidence that the trees do fall, you could see it yourself. But whether there was a sound or not, nobody knows because no one hear it! And when there's no one hear it, we could presume that the sound didn't happen.

The thing that could make you think that the sound did happen is because you imagine the tree was falling down and you imagine how noisy might be the sound of a big fallen tree. But the thing is, if you imagine the sound then you fail to hear the sound, therefore the sound didn't happen!

It's easy as that, but it sounds more complicated after.

However, I do imagine the sound of a fallen tree in the woods. The fact that there's no evidence that leads us to truly know whether the sound happened makes me think that it actually still opens to a debate about... Something that might be true beyond any evidence and scientific proof.

Just imagine that we're all deaf, and we never heard sound in our life, and we didn't believe in existence of the sound. Imagine that someday a new creature lived and they could hear every sound in the world, that was actually happen around us but we failed to hear. We perceived and believed that the sound never exist, but suddenly someone said to us all that there's a sensation of the sound around us. Now you might think this person is crazy, evil, and possessed.

But this leads me to the understanding that there's actually something beyond the world we have already observed. This thing also leads me to think that everything, that you said only an imagination, could be true. Actually everything is still possible. Just because we have no evidence or proof to anything we believe, doesn't mean it's not there. Sometimes maybe when we have successfully proved something is exist or not exist, it would still be possible if we fail to know the real truth. Thing is that something being proven doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Actually this morning, when I woke up, I wonder, based on this question, that maybe God, spirit, and another things that only exist as a wave in the air, which is something that maybe we could not sense, but maybe we could perceive it, is maybe or maybe not truly exist. The thing is, it is beyond our observable world, and we take for granted, if I perceive something is exist, something is exist, and when I perceive something is not, it's not exist.

By this post, I only want to say that as a human being, we have limit. The fact that until now we never fully understand the work of our brain, and how our sense could deceive us makes me think that the real truth in this world would, possibly, be never revealed. And everything is open to further discussion.

So next time, your kids tell you something that you fail to believe, just let them think they way they want. Just remember the important thing is that because we have limit to fully understand something, let's keep our mind wide open to bigger possibility, to the things that we always call an IMAGINATION.

I used to think that maybe it's our mind, that when we believe something, something is there. But actually maybe, it's not only happen in our mind. It is here, it is there, still around us.

Now, I might be failed to hear to sense to feel the existence of the elves, I always seek for. After this discussion happen in my mind today, I choose to believe in its existence.


No comments:

Search